chili powder recipe

  I am always looking for the perfect chili powder and  this is the way to
get it. Here is a recipe from Texas Home Cooking. It's pretty much a meat and
potatoes cookbook, but surprisingly, I have converted a lot of recipes to
lowfat or fatfree vegetarian.

Personalized Chili Powder

1-1/2 ounces (about 6) dried red chiles of moderate heat preferably ancho and
New Mexican (mix them 4 to2)
2 to 5 more or less to taste dried red chiles of greater heat-chile de arbol
or cayenne
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons cumin, toasted and ground
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons garlic powder, good quality and fresh-one that has not
sat on the grocer's shelf for 3 years
1 tablespoon ground oregano, preferably Mexican

Preheat oven to 300F. Break stems from all the chiles and remove seeds.
Transfer the chiles to a baking sheet and arrange in a single layer. Place
pan in the oven. The chile de arbol or cayenne pods will be toasted first, so
remove them after 4 or 5 minutes. Bake the larger pods an additional 4-5
minutes, until they are well dried.
When the chiles are cool enough to handle, break them into two or three
pieces each and transfer them to the blender. Pulverize the pods briefly,
until you have powder. Add the remiaing ingredients, and blend just until
they are combined.
Store the chili powder in a jar or other covered container for up to 3months.
Makes about 3/4 cup.

Jan Bennicoff in hot and sunny Missouri