Re: garden overload

I made this last year with a couple of monster zukes, and we love it.  My
husband thinks it's the best relish.  This was posted to elf sometime in
1997. (I have my elf mastercook archives divided by years.)  I processed
them in a water bath canner.  I can't remember just how long, but I know I
followed a similar relish recipe in the Ball Blue Book.  (The bread and
butter pickle recipe in there are also a good way to use up cucumbers.)

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                             Zucchini Relish

Recipe By     : Thelma Brown
Serving Size  : 150  Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Canning, Preserves, Pickles      Condiments & Seasoning
                Vegan                            Vegetables
                Vegetarian                       Eat-Lf Mailing List

                        -Mix and let stand overnight:
  10      cups          zucchini -- coarsely ground
   4      cups          onion -- finely chopped
   5      tablespoons   salt
                        -drain and rinse with cold water
                        -squeeze dry then add:
   4      cups          sugar
   2 1/4  cups          vinegar
   1      teaspoon      dry mustard
   1      teaspoon      turmeric
   2      teaspoons     celery seeds
   1      teaspoon      black pepper
   1                    green pepper -- finely chopped
   1                    red pepper -- or pimento, chopped

After rinsing and squeeze drying the zucchini and onion, add the remaining
ingredients.

Bring all this to a boil and cook 30 minutes.   Spoon into sterilized jars
and seal.

Makes 5 pints

>From: Diane_Jennings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOTES : Here is a good recipe for those monster zucchini you will probably
have this summer. It's from my ex-mother-in-law. I've made it several
times. It's a very good replacement for sweet pickle relish. hope you
enjoy it!