Red Cabbage

Hi Barb,

Here's my favorite *Red Cabbage With Apples*
1-2 1/2 lb. head red cabbage, shredded
3/4 cup boiling water
3 sliced, pared, cored large cooking apples
1 T Olive Oil (Works find without it if fat is critical)
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1 1/2 tsp flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp salt
speck of pepper
Put shredded cabbage in heavy kettle.  Add water; cook, covered, 10 min.
Add apples;  cook 10 minutes or until tender.  Add rest of ingredients
combined, Heat.  If using olive oil, add at this point.
  Makes 6 servings.  I've cut the recipe in half and it works fine

Here's my second favorite things to do with red cabbage.

Shred a small red cabbage finely for slaw.  Soak 1/2 cup of golden raisins
til softened.  Add raisins and 1 tbs very finely minced ginger to the
shredded cabbage.   Dress with the juice of one large lemon, flavored with 1
tsp olive oil and ground coriander and cayenne to taste.  I let the dressing
rest for an hour or so for the flavors to blend before dresssing the
shredded cabbage.

Ciao,  Marilyn Bruning