flax seeds

Shannon, you inquired about their purpose. They help vegans to get the
required essential fatty acids (omega-3) that are normally found only in
animal products. According to Ornish and others one teaspoon of the oil or
one tablespoon of the seeds, ground, provides protection for the heart in
the way of preventing/reversing heart disease. Different brands provide
varying amounts of nutrient content so I hesitate to even go there. My
husband and I use 1 T. of the seeds each every morning. I store them whole
in the refrigerator and then measure 2 T. before grinding them in a coffee
grinder. He likes his stirred into his oatmeal. I prefer mine stirred into
my juice, mainly because I like the oatmeal taste better without it.  I hope
this helps.