sauerkraut/kuchen/scalloped potatoes

Hello...Was experimenting the last few days with recipes and these were
all successful.

Bye...Elizabeth

We had dinner at a friend's house who is Austrian and she
served her sauerkraut which is wonderful and very unhealthy. She
drains the kraut and then cooks it up with bacon and bacon fat. So I
changed her recipe to suit our purposes.

Rosemarie's Sauerkraut, kind of.

1 bag or refrigerated jar of the fresh sauerkraut
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 tablespoon of Bac*n bits
1 teaspoon of mustard seed or caraway

Drain and rinse the kraut.  Simmer the onion and mustard seed in
enough water to soften onions a bit.  Transfer all to a microwavable
dish, add in the sauerkraut and the bac*n bits, stir and heat.
This was a nice crispy kraut, but not too sauer.

I needed to make a coffe cake the other day for a meeting.  I used my
grandmothers kuchen recipe and tried the following changes.  I left out
the 1 heaping tablespoon of shortening from the batter and left out the
tablespoon of butter from the struesel topping.

Fruit Kuchen                         * Topping:  instead of the
                                      struesel I mixed 1 T of flour

2 cups of unbleached flour            and 1/4 cup of sugar and a t
1/2 cup of sugar                       of cinnamon right into the
1 heaping tablespoon applesauce       fruit before putting fruit
2 teaspoon baking powder              on top of batter.
pinch salt (optional)
1 cup ff soy milk or skim milk

Mix dry ingredients, then stir in milk and sauce.  Don't over mix.
Batter is sticky.  Pat in to a pam-sprayed 9x13 pan.  Top with any
fruit or combination of fruit you want.  These all work well...blue
berries, canned pitted cherries, sliced peaches,thawed frozen
raspberries (what I just used), apple slices.  Bake in a 350 oven
until done, about 35-40 minutes.  Exposed batter should be golden.
Top with sifted powdered sugar and serve warm.

I thought I would not be able to make scalloped potatoes anymore
because of the butter.  I didn't think the sauce would thicken
without it, but I was wrong.  They turned out just fine.

Scalloped Potatoes

baking potatoes, peeled and sliced, not too thick or thin
ff soy milk or skim milk
2 large onion chopped
1/4-1/2 cup of flour
salt and ground black pepper

First choose your casserole dish.  Spray with no stick spray, inside the
cover too for easy cleanup. Slice enough potatoes to fill dish to
1 inch from top alternating layers with onion.  Season, sprinkle the
flour in and mix.  Pour enough milk on to just cover potatoes.  Put
lid on, or cover tightly with foil, and bake in over for 1 hour at
350F or until pototaes are tender.   Put a pan to catch any drips from
overflow.  Stir occasionally.

Normally I would have added about 4-6 T of butter or margarine, but
the sauce thickened up with out it and I, no one else either, noticed
any difference.