Using a baking stone

First, I'm learning a lot from this list, thanks.
I just got a baking stone (rectangle) and I want to bake bread on it. My
understanding of it is that you bake directly on the stone. But the stone
works best if it's preheated in a 500 degree oven and then the bread placed
directly on it for baking. I have a pizza paddle, but it still seems
impossible to slip the bread onto the stone without the risen bread deflating.
Does anyone know how to do this?

Got any other suggestions for ways to use the stone?

Thanks,
L.Kennelly