Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #39

In a message dated 2/11/99 6:23:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, fatfree-
request@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< While I am thankful for this list, I have problems with the suggestion to
 buy books from amazon.com in that it is helping to drive small local
 bookstores out of business. Personally, if I cannot find a book on the
 shelf of my small community-owned bookstore here in Willow Glen (San Jose,
 CA), I ask for it to be ordered. They are so prompt and kind (and they know
 books).

This is off topic and I apologize in advance, but is there a way to stop this
process? It happens everywhere. Small family farms are mostly gone, etc. I
hate losing the small bookstore, love the idea, but the brutal truth for me is
that there is no "small bookstore" in my area and that amazon.com has opened
the world for me. I don't have to drive miles and miles to get anything and
the stranglehold of the really big distributors in the book business has been
eased. I also think having the amazon link is a useful way to help a very good
list. Soon it will be "every man his own publisher" and I think that's
probably all for the good.

Laura Kennelly
(who is also very happy to have learned about the wonderful Jessica's Biscuit
website on this list)