Black beans

Summer has been pretty busy with my kids. They liked this recipe I adapted
from Romancing the Bean by Joanne Saltzman.

Black Bean and Rice Patties

1 cup cooked black beans
1 cup cooked long grain brown rice
1/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
1/8 tsp orange flower water*(see note)
1/4 tsp garam masala (Indian spice combination)
4 tablespoons crushed whole wheat crackers
1 green onion, diced
olive oil cooking spray for frying

Combine all ingredients together and mix gently but well. Shape into patties,
or, if you wish, just fry the whole thing in one giant pancake shape. Spray
the pan with olive oil cooking spray and brown the patties on one side until
a crust has formed and then turn to brown on the other side.

Note: If you don't have orange flower water, try using the same amount of
orange or tangerine extract. (I did, with pretty good results.)

We also tried this recipe. It was more unusual.

Marinated Baked Tofu with Mango Chutney

1 pound reduced fat or lite tofu
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp ginger juice or 3 tsp minced peeled ginger
1/4 cup tamari (soy sauce)
2 tablespoons mirin (a sweet Japanese cooking wine)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup mango chutney

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut tofu into slabs 1/4 to 1/2 inch
thick and then into  rectangles or triangles.
2. Combine the garlic, ginger, tamari, mirin, rice vinegar, and water in  a
saucepan. Add the tofu and boil until the liquid is gone. (Be careful you
don't burn it- as it boils off pretty fast.) If it's more convenient simply
combine the tofu and the marinade and refrigerate for 24 hours or more, then
boil it when you have time.
3. Spray a 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray, sesame if you have it. Lay the
tofu in the pan, cover it with the chutney and bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with hot couscous or rice pilaf.
Hope you enjoy this, Jan Bennicoff