vegan recipe

Sweet and sour tofu
serves 4 - 6 as a side dish

2 cups bell pepper cut into 3/4" squares (mix the colors)
1 carrot, thinly sliced
3/4 cup scallions, cut on the diagonal into 3/4" long pieces (about 1 bunch)
1 generous teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely minced or grated
2 - 3 teaspoons minced garlic
1 - 8 ounce can unsweetened pineapple chunks with juice
1/2 cup apricot fruit spread (use the fruit only, fruit sweetened kind)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or dry sherry
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup dry sherry or water
1 pound firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes.

In a large nonstick skillet sauté the bell pepper in the balsamic vinegar or
dry sherry for about 5 minutes.
Add ginger and garlic to skillet, stir for about 2 minutes.  Add pineapple
chunks with their juice.
Add soy sauce, jam, cider vinegar, tofu adn scallions.
Stir and simmer gently for 5 - 10 minutes.
Remove from heat.  Stir in the dissolved cornstarch to blend well, return to
heat and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.  Serve with steamed rice.

This is my original recipe, I hope you enjoy it,
Jan G