Chili-Stuffed Zucchini

This made a good dinner while camping this weekend.  I put the filling
together before we left home.  We grilled corn on the cob at the same time
and served it with fresh blueberries and strawberries which I had cleaned
and cut at home.  Yum

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Chili-Stuffed Zucchini

Recipe By     : Vegetarian Grill by Chesman, adapted to be fatfree
Categories    : Beans And Legumes                Grilling
                Main Dishes, Vegetarian          Vegetables

   4      medium        zucchini
                        Salt and black pepper
   2                    garlic cloves -- minced
   1 1/2  cups          cooked pinto or black beans -- drained
                        (or 1 15-ounce can)
     3/4  cup           grated fatfree cheddar cheese
     1/3  cup           store-bought salsa
     1/4  cup           finely chopped fresh cilantro

SERVES 4 TO 8

Grilling with the lid down gives the zucchini just a little  extra smoke
flavor, which enhances this dish.  However, if you are grilling something
else alongside the zucchini and want the lid up, don't worry about it.
Just make sure the zucchini is fork tender before removing it from the grill.

1.  Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill.

2.  Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise.  Scoop out the centers, leaving
about 1/4 inch of flesh in the shells.  (Discard the zucchini flesh or
reserve for another use, such as making vegetable stock.) Generously
sprinkle the zucchini with salt and pepper and spray with Pam.

3.  Combine the beans, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the salsa, and cilantro.
Season with salt and pepper, if needed.  Stuff the mixture into the
zucchini shells.  Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top.

4.  Grill with the lid down until the zucchini is tender and the stuffing
is hot, 10 to 12 minutes.  Carefully remove from the grill with a spatula.
Serve at once.

Variations: Any leftover chili can be used as a filling for the zucchini.