Re: Hummus

I hope these recipes are acceptable to the list - they aren't fat free
but are at least 20% calories from fat or less. They might be all right
for the person ( I'm so sorry but I can't remember who posted) about
their child liking hummus on sandwiches.

Karen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Hummus (Home Made)

Recipe By     : Donna Nicoletti from Reversing Heart Disease(Ornish)
Categories    : Hummus

   1      cup           chickpeas -- dry
   5      cups          water
   6                    bay leaves -- or so
     3/4  cup           chopped onion
   1                    garlic clove
     2/3  cup           tomato puree
   2      tablespoons   lemon juice
     3/4  teaspoon      ground cumin
     1/4  teaspoon      paprika
     1/8  teaspoon      cayenne
     1/4  teaspoon      black pepper
     3/4  teaspoon      salt

Sort and rinse the chick-peas, then soak overnight in water.  Drain
them, then add 5 cups of water and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil, then
reduce the heat to medium and cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours, or
until the beans are completely soft.  When cooked, drain the beans and
puree until completely smooth in a food processor with the rest of the
ingredients.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : garnish with Parsley

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Kidney Bean Hummus

Recipe By     : Diana Shaw
Categories    : Hummus

   1      small         garlic clove -- peeled
     1/4  cup           minced fresh cilantro
   2      tablespoons   fresh lemon juice
   1      tablespoon    fresh lime juice
   1      tablespoon    tahini
   2      cups          cooked kidney beans -- drained and rinsed
   2      teaspoons     ground cumin
   1      teaspoon      chili powder
   1      pinch         cayenne
   2      tablespoons   minced scallion greens -- for garnish

Combine all ingredients, except scallions, in a food processor or
blender. Blend until smooth. Sprinkle with scallions.

  "This Southwest style variation tastes terrific spread on flour
  tortillas or baked taco chips."
Source:
  "Essential Vegetarian Cookbook"
Copyright:
  "1997, Diana Shaw"
Start to Finish Time:
  "0:05"

NOTES : Refrigerate up to 5 days, freeze up to 6 months.