Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #95

In a message dated 4/8/99 6:50:37 AM EDT, fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Note: Using segmented pans for cornbread is a lot of fun.  Usually the pans
>  are made of cast iron.  I have one which has 6 piece-of-pie shaped segments
>  and have seen those with 6 or 8 segments shaped like ears of corn.  Of
> course
>  a loaf pan or an iron skillet works well too but needs a little longer to
>  cook.
I never cared much for cornbread, until I tried baking it in a cast iron
skillet. The skillet should be hot before the batter is poured in, so the
bottom will be crunchy. I wonder if whipping the egg whites until they're
stiff before adding them to the batter would help compensate for the lack of
shortening?