Re: What is garam masala and master cook?

On Tue 27 Apr 1999, theryl krings <terrific-t@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. What is garam masala?

A mixture of spices: recipe below.

> i have seen this in several recipes lately?

Have you? I don't know :-)

Kate

* Garam masala *
----------------

   This is my favourite garam masala recipe - if I tried to list all the
   books that helped me come up with it there'd be more space taken up by
   that than the actual recipe. If you don't have one or two of the
   spices listed here don't worry - just leave them out and you'll still
   get a recognisable garam masala.

   If you don't have the equipment to grind your own spices, experiment
   with mixing together as many of the spices below as you can find
   ready-ground, in roughly the same proportions.

Makes about 2 tbsp

     * 2 tsp coriander seed
     * 2 tsp cumin seed
     * 1 tsp black peppercorns
     * 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
     * 1/2 tsp cloves
     * 1 tsp green or brown cardamom pods
     * 1-2 bay leaves

   1. Cut open the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Discard the pods
   and the funny stuff around the seeds. Break the bay leaves up into
   small pieces.

   2. Roast everything together over low heat in a dry (ie no oil) frying
   pan - nonstick is best - until they start to smell nice.

   3. Remove from the heat and grind together in a coffee grinder.