Fw: hot & sour soup

This is from _Moosewood Restaurant Lowfat Favorites_, We enjoyed it at the
restaurant and immediately bought the book. I have made it several times and
we always enjoy it.  You can vary the "heat", if you like it mild, be
careful to remove all the seeds and light colored membrane from the pepper.
If you like it hotter, leave seeds and membranes in.  After it is done, if
it is not hot enough, add finely ground white pepper 1/4 teaspoon at a
time.--these notes are mine, not the cookbook's.  I have made some changes
to make it even lower fat.  Also, it is equally good the next day!

Vietnamese Hot and Sour Soup
2 cups thinly sliced onions
5 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 or 2 fresh chiles, seeded and minced, or to taste
7 cups light vegetable broth (I use broth powder, only about 3/4 of
recommended amount of powder)
1 - 15 ounce can straw mushrooms, reserve liquid
1 - 8 ounce can unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use 1/2 this amount)
1 1/2 cups diced firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 ounces)

mung sprouts, basil leaves, lime wedges

In a large soup pot, sauté the onions in a bit of the reserved mushroom
liquid  on low heat for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and chiles
and sauté for another minute, stirring to prevent sticking.  Stir in the
stock, mushrooms, pineapple and tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat
and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the basil, mint or cilantro, lime juice, soy
sauce and tofu.  Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes until the flavors are well
blended.

Sprinkle with sprouts and basil leaves and accompany each serving with a
wedge of lime.

Enjoy
Jan G