bananas

Bananas produce a lot of that gas that ripens fruit (some form of
ethylene, I think).  It's important to keep them in open air and to get
them out of any plastic bags asap.  This can be a useful trait, I hurry
along the ripening of other fruits by adding a banana to the bowl, or
rush a bunch of bananas by bagging them.

I generally peel and freeze several bananas from each bunch for use in
smoothies.  I end up eating about half fresh and half in smoothies - I
try to eat one banana in either form every day, and the frozen bananas
guarantee that I have some around at all times.
Anne