popped wheat berries

My friend told me about seeing recipes for popping wheat berries to eat
as a snack,similar to eating popcorn. Unfortunately,non of the recipes
tell how this is done.My friend has tried doing it on her own but it
doesn't work. Does anyone have any experience with this?. If so, could
you share?.[The cookbook my friend originally saw this in was printed
many years ago by a mormon church,if that helps any].
TIA and Turtles,
Susan