evaporated milk

Sharon wrote:

>Well, the suggestions for evaporated milk substitutes that  I've been
>given so far all involve non-fat dry milk powder which I also can't
>find here.

Wow!  Is it hard to find skim milk powder in all parts of Israel, Sharon?

When I bake, I've often had success using ordinary skim milk as a substitute, but understand this may not work for all recipes.  Here's a couple of ideas that may be worth a try:

How about yoghurt?  Perhaps put a couple of spoonfuls of ff yoghurt in a measure, then fill to the desired level with milk.

Perhaps put a bit of cornstarch in the measuring cup, then whisk in the desired amount of milk.  When the product bakes, the cornstarch will thicken the liquid.

Hope this helps.

BTW, speaking of baking, I made the fruit cake posted by N. Pinckney a few days ago which was WONDERFUL.  I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs to be sated by a sticky fruity quick bread!

Sharon.

Sharon McCleave BSc(Hons)Ost.
Reg'd Osteopath

Ontario Osteopathic and Rehabilitation Centre