Baked Potatoes skins

I remeber hearing negative things about potatoe skins a while back. Does
anyone know about pros and cons of eating baked potatoe skins? If they
are safe I would appreciate recipies. I used to eat them with cheddar
cheese and ranch dressing but I am not eating high fat foods like that
anymore. Fat Free is definately preferable.
I really loved when they would get crunchy/chewey in the broiler. Any
ideas on how to get this with out oil/butter? Thanks! -Allison