Bread Machines & Carnivores

Dawn,
	First, the easy part.  I got a $49 (on sale) West Bend bread machine at
Walmart that I'm crazy about.  I've only had it 2-3 weeks, and I've already
lost track of how many millions of loaves I've made with it.  I used a
couple of bread mixes, but have since only made 100% whole wheat bread from
the included recipe book, except that I don't bother to put in the butter
pats that are called for.  A quick hint: if you're going to make whole
grain bread, get a little box of vital gluten that should be in the
flour/bread machine mix area; it makes whole wheat bread as beautiful as a
professional bakery could turn out.

>If he knows it's nofat, he'll refuse to eat it, thinking
>that it will be bland and/or tasteless, and I know it will be impossible
>to get him to give up meats.  Many of the recipies sound wonderful, though
>I haven't tried any of them as of yet... I guess my question is, would I
>have to tell him these recipies are nofat AND, would it make any
>difference, healthwise, to prepare nofat foods if he is still eating
>meats?

 	As for this...the easiest question first.  Yes, it will make a difference
if he eats ff foods even though he's eating meats.  The less fat, the
better.  It may not be enough less to clean out his arteries, but may slow
down the accumulation on his artery walls.  And unless he normally requests
a list of ingredients, no, you really don't have to tell him you're making
fatfree dishes.  But there's a larger issue here, I think; it's
counterproductive in intimate relationships to indulge in subterfuge.  I'm
certainly not telling you not to cook ff foods for him; it's just that if
you feel you're putting one over on him, it's not good for either of you.
I've been cooking fatfree long enough that I don't even think about it as
an issue; it's just one of the things I do.  But since being ff, I've
developed an revulsion for meat.  Now, I not only don't eat it, I don't
cook it.  And that may be a real issue if I should start cooking for a SAD
"someone special" again someday.  I think this is something to be hammered
out before you get married, to avoid feelings of betrayal on both sides
later.  Sorry for the marriage counselling, but I think in a marital
relationship, the kinds of coping mechanisms we use for friends and other
family members (convenience untruths) may not be appropriate.  I wish you
all the best.

Jane

     Jane Smith
     mjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Special Collections, Pickler Memorial Library
     Truman State University (formerly NMSU)
     Kirksville, Missouri  USA