Heartburn...

Okay, I know that this is going to sound stupid, but I occasionally get
killer heartburn (generally after eating something high in fat <sigh>.  I
used to use Gaviscon but when I took my Pharmacology class I decided that I
was taking the stuff way too often and way to much of it.  Anyway my answer
when I get a bad attack right now is to drink a big glass of skim milk.
Since I am kind of dancing around the idea of becoming vegan eventually I
was wondering if there were any vegan substitutes that would do the same
job.  I know from everything that I have been reading that using dairy
products to combat heartburn can be a double edged sword, but what are my
options??  Anyone who has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Steph