Re: FF Margarine, soy milk, miso

A few comments on recent questions:

"Fat free" margarines may not be all they promise. Look at the
back panel of Promise Ultra Fat Free and you'll see that it lists
5 calories per serving, then 5 calories from fat. It doesn't take
a rocket scientist to figure out that means 100 percent of its
calories are from fat. How come? In the US, if a serving, no matter
how small the size, has less than 0.5 grams if fat, it may be rounded
off to zero, which then allows it to be called "fat free".

Powdered soy milks can taste quite similar to the dairy product they
replace. Some are not low fat, though. My favorite is "Better than
Milk?" brand, but be careful to get the one marked "light", as the
regular is not low fat. One scoop mixes with 8 ounces (240 ml) of
water. Mixes best in a closed jar: shake well, refrigerate a while,
shake again and then serve. Some soy milks are relatively high in
sodium, others have calcium added. Many choices at most HFS or mail
order source.

I found some miso in my refrigerator that was hidden behind something
for over three years (I clean the fridge once a decade, whether it
needs it or not) and found it retained its taste and quality. No need
to freeze. But when you prepare foods containing miso, don't boil
after the miso has been added or those beneficial enzymes will be
killed.
---
Neal Pinckney <> Healing Heart Foundation <> Makaha, Hawaii <> AH6HM