Spinach Miso Soup

Sorry it has taken so long to get this to the list. My first try was rejected for formatting problems so I hope it works this time.

Spinach Miso Soup

2 bunches Korean spinach (or baby leaf spinach, 1 bag)
1 rounded tablespoon miso (I use a large soupspoon of white or yellow miso)
1/2 tablespoon Dashida (this is a powdered broth base - use your favorite)
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 sticks of scallion, sliced
black pepper to taste
4 cups water

Rinse spinach well and remove tough stems. Steam spinach or boil a large pot of water, remove from heat and add spinach when boiling stops, cooking until limp. Drain spinach and rinse in cold water. Squeeze gently to remove excess water (you don't have to work too hard at this - after all it is going into soup). Cut through the ball of spinach a few times to coarsely chop - there should be large pieces of spinach in the soup.

Use a clean, dry spoon to measure the miso and another for the dashida. This is important to keep them fresh for a long time.

Put miso into soup pot and mix in a small amount of water. Then add the rest of the water and the dashida. Boil and then turn heat to medium for a few minutes. Turn heat to low and add spinach, scallion and garlic. Heat and eat!

NOTE: This is the recipe I was given. It makes a delicious soup. I am not overly familiar with Asian ingredients, but I think dashida is usually meat-based. I think any vegetable stock base could be used.

Susan M. Staecker staecker@xxxxxxxxxx
MIT Lincoln Laboratory tel. 781-981-4164
244 Wood Street FAX 781-981-4739
Lexington, MA 02173-9185