Freezing food in Quantity

Here are a few of my favorite recipes for food to freeze.  I take my lunch to
work everyday and like to put leftovers in small container, freeze and just pop
into my lunchbag from the freezer.  I also work some PM shifts and like to have
leftovers for my husband.  I finally found a freezer pen that washes off the
lids.  I was famous for "Freezer Surprise" before I found that!

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Freezer Burritos  <T>

Recipe By     : Fatfree Digest
Serving Size  : 10   Preparation Time :0:20
Categories    : Mexican                          Bean Dishes

   2      Cans          Black Beans
   2      C             Cooked Rice -- any kind
   1      Large         Onion -- chopped
   3      Cloves        Garlic -- minced
   1      Tsp           Cumin
   1      Tsp           Chili Powder
     1/4  Tsp           Cayenne Pepper
   1      Sm Can        Tomato Sauce
  12                    Flour Tortillas -- large

I posted a burrito recipe not long ago that freezes very well.  I make a batch
of 10 every weekend and put them in the freezer for convenience.
Saute onions and garlic in your favorite oil sub (I like to use balsamic
vinegar or cooking sherry).  When onion is soft, add spices (sorry no
measurements, I just throw on what looks good), cook a couple of more minutes
and remove from heat.
In a large bowl, dump 1 can of beans with juice, drain the other can and then
add the beans to the bowl.  Add the can of tomato sauce.  Mash the beans until
most are mashed, but leave some unmashed.  Add cooked rice and onion mixture.
Stir well.
Roll up burritos, freeze.  These make good snacks, lunch or supper with a
salad, and I love them for breakfast.  Enjoy!

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Bar-B-Q'd Lentils  <T>

Recipe By     : USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council
Categories    : Bean Dishes                      Casseroles

   2 1/3  C             Lentils -- rinsed
   5      C             Water
     1/2  C             Molasses
   2      Tbsp          Brown Sugar
   1      Tbsp          Vinegar
     1/2  C             Ketchup
   1      Tsp           Dry Mustard
   1      Tsp           Worcestershire Sauce -- or vegetarian kind
  16      Oz            Tomato Sauce
   2      Tbsp          Minced Onions
     1/4  Tsp           Liquid Barbecue Smoke® -- optional

Add lentils to water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 min or until tender but
whole.  Add remaining ingredients to the cooked lentils and bake at 350 deg F
for 45 min.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Great over rice.  Also wonderful served in a bun like 'sloppy joe's'.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Green on Green Gumbo

Recipe By     : Adapted from 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian
Categories    : Casseroles                       Vegetable Soups And Stews

   6      Tablespoons   butter buds®
     1/4  Cup           flour
   2      Teaspoons     creole seasoning
   2      Medium        onions -- chopped
   3      Cloves        garlic -- minced
  16      Oz            frozen okra -- sliced, thawed
  14 1/2  Oz            vegetable broth
   1      Teaspoon      dried thyme
   2      Tablespoons   worcestershire sauce
   1      Cup           dry white wine
   1      Pound         fresh spinach -- rinsed and stemmed
   1      Pound         swiss chard -- rinsed and chopped
   2      Cups          beet greens -- rinsed and chopped
   2      Cups          celery leaves -- chopped
   1      Teaspoon      salt
                        hot pepper sauce

In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, add butter buds and flour.  Cook, stirring
until flour turns golden, 5-7 minutes.  Do not brown or soup will be bitter.
Stir in Creole seasoning.
Add onions and garlic.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until
onion soften, about 3 minutes.  Stir in okra, cover and cook, stirring
occasionally, until okra is just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.  Add broth, thyme,
Worcestershire, and wine.  Cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
Gradually add greens, stirring them gently into stew.  Cover and cook until
greens are tender, 15-20 minutes.  Add salt.
Serve gumbo over cooked white rice with hot sauce on the side.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : In a pinch, use frozen greens.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Bean Vegetable Medley <T>

Recipe By     : Converted from Meal-Master
Categories    : Bean Dishes                      Grain Main Dishes

   3      Tbsp          Water
   1      Large         Onion -- diced
   2      Stalks        Celery -- sliced
   1      Med           Green Pepper -- cut in strips
   2      Med           Tomatoes -- diced
   2      Cups          Red Kidney Beans -- drained & rinsed
  10      Pkg           Frozen Lima Beans
   1      Cup           Quick Cooking Barley
     2/3  C             Parsley -- chopped
   1 1/2  Tsp           Salt
   1      Tsp           Dried Basil Leaves
     1/4  Tsp           Ground Black Pepper
   3      C             Boiling Water
   2      Tbsp          Nonfat Cheddar Cheese -- grated

Tips:  This dish can be assembled and baked later.  Add the boiling water just
before baking.  Baking time should be increased by 15 minutes when starting
refrigerated temperature.

 Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add onion, celery, and green pepper.
Cook slowly for 10 minutes.  Do not brown.
Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, barley, parsley, salt, basil, and black pepper.
Transfer mixture to a buttered 2-to 3 quart casserole with lid.  Add boiling
water.  Cover.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender and liquid is
absorbed.  Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.

 Good served with:  Marinated, slightly blanched mixed vegetables, hot French
bread and butter.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Wonderful and filling!

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Crockpot Grains

Recipe By     : Lean and Luscious and Meatless
Categories    : Crockpot Recipes                 Grain Main Dishes

     1/4  C             Millet -- uncooked
     1/4  C             Barley -- uncooked
     1/3  C             Brown Rice -- uncooked
   1      C             Onions -- chopped
   1      C             Green Pepper -- chopped
     1/2  C             Carrots -- finely chopped
  16      Cans          Kidney Beans -- drained
   8      Cans          Tomato Sauce -- salt free or reg
  16      Cans          Tomatoes -- chopped&drained,
                        -- save liquid
   1 1/2  C             Frozen Corn
   1      Tsp           Dried Oregano
   1      Tsp           Dried Basil
     1/2  Tsp           Garlic Powder
                        Salt And Pepper -- to taste

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot.  Add water to reserved tomato liquid to
equal 2 1/2 cups.  Stir into grain mixture.
Cover and cook on low setting 8 hours.
Stir before serving.