eggplant juice

It seems to me that I had heard somewhere that you must salt and drain
the eggplant due to the toxicity of the liquid that comes from it.  This
liquid may be what causes the bitter flavor.  In any case, I always salt
and let the eggplant sit for about 1/2 hour before cooking, then rinse
and pat dry with paper towel.

One of my favorite ways to use eggplant is to salt and drain as above
slices about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, dip in egg substitute, roll in
breadcrumbs seasoned with Italian seasoning or Mrs. Dash, and bake at
350 for 1/2 hour.  You can top with Italian tomato sauce and ff
parmesan, or just enjoy out of the oven as is.

If anyone has info about the question of the eggplant "juice" please
post!