Recipe: Summer Soup

Hi everyone!  A couple of weeks ago my parents showed up at my house with a
25 pound box of Roma tomatoes that they had bought at a farmer's market for
the astonishing price of $6.  Since then, I've been making every recipe I
know that uses fresh tomatoes.  This is one of my old favorites, which I
adapted slightly to make it fat-free.  (And if anyone else wants to post
tomato recipes, I'd be very grateful: time is running out for my
refrigerated stash of goodies!)

Blender Salad Soup

6 Servings

Similar to gazpacho, but with all the vegetables chopped together, making it
much easier to prepare.

4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
1/2 large green pepper
1/2 small onion
1 small cucumber
1 clove garlic
1/4-1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 cup ice water
6 ice cubes
Quarter tomatoes; seed and slice green pepper; peel and slice onion and
cucumber; peel garlic.

Place vegetables and remaining ingredients except ice in a blender or food
processor and blend for about 3 seconds, until vegetables are finely chopped
but not reduced to puree. Spoon soup into bowls and place an ice cube in
each so it becomes very cold.

Adapted from Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine

Enjoy!

Susan
Susan Voisin  voisin@xxxxxxxxx
http://members.xoom.com/veg