RECIPE: Ginger Broccoli (VEGAN)

This recipe was invented by two friends of mine, and changed to fatfree
by me. I re-read the posting gudelines before I typed this because I
like to add a few sesame seeds. The guidelines restrict but do not ban
seeds, and I think they really help this dish. 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
has 1.2g fat, and the whole of this dish has 109 C, giving it 10% CFF
(calories from fat). So it's OK.

-------------------
* Ginger Broccoli *
-------------------

The ginger must be chopped *very* finely, and cooked longer than you
may expect, since we are cooking it in water rather than oil.

Serves 2

1/2 tsp sesame seed
300g (10-11oz) broccoli florets - the amount you get from
                                  a medium head
1/4 tsp stock powder (optional)
1 1/2 tsp finely-chopped fresh ginger

1. Heat a small nonstick saucepan, then add the seeds and toast over a
low heat, shaking occasionally, until browned but not burnt. Set
aside.

2. Cut the broccoli into small bitesize pieces, keeping a 2cm (3/4
inch) long stem on each piece (you don't want to waste too much stem,
but you don't want separate pieces of just stem).

3. Heat water in the pan then boil the broccoli until softened to
liking. Drain, reserving the water.

4. Heat 1 cm (1/2 inch) reserved broccoli water in the pan and add the
stock powder if using. Add the ginger and simmer briskly for 10
minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little more broccoli water
as needed. Aim to end up with very little water.

5. Return the broccoli and the toasted seeds to the pan and heat
through over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to coat
the broccoli with the flavours.

6. Serve hot, cold or at room temperature, with noodles or rice.

--
A New Year, a New Sig. But not yet.
Kake Lemon Pugh - http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0141/index.html