Proprietary Information/Progresso Soups

In my work, I have made many calls to manufacturers requesting ingredient
information and have been told that it is proprietary information.  I think
legally they can do this.  It puts the consumer at a disadvantage.  Some
products, like ice cream, peanut butter, mayonnaise, are covered by a
standard of identity and the products will have ingredients within a
certain range of the standard.

I usually do clinical nutrition work - so am not totally aware of food
industry/legal issues - but have experienced this problem in the past.
Unfortunately, for many of us, we have to rely on ready-made foods because
of the lifestyle we lead.

Marjorie