Lentil Soup

I made this for lunch today and it was great--very thick and satisfying. It
even uses red lentils for the person who wanted red lentil recipes. I made
it with brown lentils, which (according to the notes) requires 15 minutes
additional cooking time. I did not find that to be true.

4 cups broth
1 cup red lentils, rinsed & picked over
1 cup chopped red onion
1 medium carrot, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (I didn't use)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground ginger
1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped fresh tomato or drained, canned (I used canned, but included
the liquid)
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
Pinch ground red cayenne pepper
1 to 2 tblsp fresh lemon juice (I used 1)

Mix first 8 ingredients in a large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover
and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf. Add
tomato, coriander, cumin, and ground red pepper. Cook 2 minutes. Stir in
lemon juice. Serves 6 (but I had two for lunch!)