Sour & Hot Soup

Someone wanted a hot sour soup recipe.  I don't know if cornstarch is a no no
on this list, I'm sure you could substitute something else.  If memory serves,
soy sauce is ok.  You could use the lower fat tofu and grate or if you can't
grate it crumble someway.  This soup was a favorite of a friend and I'm going
to make it soon, I know she did not use any egg.
Also for the person asking about non dairy.  I prefer rice milk, because it is
lighter, but found Eden Soy milk tasted okay.  I don't drink any non dairy
straight, so I don't know about taste in that case, I use it in cooking only
or smoothies mixed with fruit.

For sprouting, make sure they were not treated for planting.You can sprout
mung beans, garbanzos, lentils, wheat berries and alfalfa seeds.  Also
fenugreek, watercress, sunflower, radish or mustard seeds.  You soak 1/3 cup
overnight in a quart jar, tepid water.  For longer sprouting of mung or
alfalfa may need more room.  Next day, rinse the seeds in cool water and drain
them thoroughly.  Keep the jar in a darkish place, if possible, on its side
and protect the mouth with a damp towel; the seeds want air but they don't
want to dry out.  Rinse the sprouts two times a day, three if the weather is
hot.  Be sure to drain them well each time.  Depending on what you;'re
sprouting your crop may be ready by the second or third day.   Alfalfa sprouts
take about five days.  Store in the refrigerator covered. (Information from
Laurel's Kitchen cookbook.

I think the person's problem was she kept them in water.  Soak in water
overnight but then drain well after rinsing each time.  I never had a problem
with sprouting.

Dr. Andrew Weil notes that alfalfa sprouts are not to be used.  I don't have
the book handy to check why, I've forgotten.  Has anyone else heard this?  I
like what Dr.Weil writes, but about this I am open.

Sour and Hot Soup
4 portions
(from Recipes For A Small Planet by Ellen Ewald

Note by author:  If you prefer a soupier soup, serve the grain on the side
with fresh steamed vegetables.

1 1/4 cup raw brown rice, cooked
1 cup sliced mushrooms
about 3 ounces tofu, grated
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
4 cups vegie stock
1 T tamari (soy sauce)
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 3 Tablespoons cold stock
1 egg (use equivilent of egg substitute or OMIT
1 green onion chopped or several chives

1, To grate the tofu, use the coarse side of a cheese grater; grate the tofu
as you would grate cheese.

2,  Bring the stock, soy sauce, and vinegar to a boil; stir in the tofu,
mushrooms, water chestnuts, salt and pepper.

3.  Bring to a second boil; then pour in the cornstarch mixture.  Stir until
the soup thickens slightly.

4.  Simmer the soup as you slowly pour in the egg substitute, stirring
contantly for egg drops.

5.  To serve:  dish up some of the grain into the soup bowls, pour a serving
of soup over the grain, sprinkle with scallons; and you're ready to serve.
Enjoy!

1 portion equals approx. l7 grams of usable protein which is 15% to 19% of
dailyprotein need.