new veggies/cookbooks, etc.

Joe sez:>
snip>Also something that would list how much protean, etc.., is in foods,
so that
>I can choose the right foods, and how much to eat of them. This is what I am
>concerned about most.
>Thank You - Cajun Joe

Joe, If you eat a variety of vegetables and fruits, add in some whole
grains such as brown rice, barley, bulghur wheat, etc, and 1 cup of cooked
beans each day, you will be getting plenty of protein and vitamins.   If y
ou are concerned add in a multi vitamin/mineral pill each day.  If you are
eating enough food so you are not hungry, you are getting enough.  The way
vegetarians get into trouble is by eating too much white bread and french
fries, etc.  Eat good, whole foods and you needn't make a big deal about it.

Welcome!

  I saw a few
>different McDougall cookbooks.  Anyone have a preference to which is his
>best?  Also, I saw the Vegetarian cookbood by Madison and another one by
>Shaw that were both very large and informative, however I wasn't sure if
>they are either fat free or low fat.

Karen,
I also think the McDougal cookbooks are not the best, in my opinion the
recipes are fairly plain foods, but they are usually easy to prepare, basic
family foods.
As for determining if a cookbook is low in fat, just scan thru a few
recipes, if they call for oil, butter, lots of nuts, cheese, etc, they are
not low in fat,  My favorite cookbooks are:
Fatfree and delicious, Robert Seigal
Moosewoods Low fat cook book, not all vegetarian, but mostly.
Lindsay Wagner's Higher Road to Health, vegan, recipes with fats are easily
converted.
And my favorite resource is the fatfree archives, a wealth of information!

Maureen:
(As an example, one of the
>recipes called for "cooked chickpeas" -- well I just don't know!)

Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same food,  you can buy them and many
other variaties cooked without fat in cans.  Or you can buy them, or any
other kind of beans dry, soak in plenty of water, and cook in a crockpot
all day or overnight.  Add no salt or tomatoes until they are tender.  Sook
first, then season.

>Also, what are the basic
>ingredients that I should have in my pantry?

a variety of beans, if you really are novice, you may prefer to start with
canned beans rather than dry.  Easy and convenient.

cans of fatfree refried beans (for burritos, dips, etc.)

canned fatfree veggie chili (pour over baked potatoes, pasta, brown rice, etc.

pasta

jars of fatfree pasta sauce, or cans of tomatoes and tomato paste, etc, to
make your own. (add in some steamed veggies and/or a can of beans and pour
on the pasta

Whole grains:  brown rice, barley (add a handful to soup), bulgur wheat,
oats for oatmeal, etc.

Then go into the fatfree archives and search for "beans" to get bean
recipes, or "bulghur  or bulgur wheat, etc.  And, keep reading this list
for recipes and encouragement.
Welcome Maureen!  You are in the right place!

Regards,   Jan  (jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx)

EcoVillage Ithaca, looking for people to help plan, and live in,
the second neighborhood group.  Open House Nov 29.
for info:  http://www.cfe.cornell.edu/ecovillage/ or jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx