leeks

I, too, can't bear to just throw out the green tops of leeks (though it's not
so bad now that I've got a compost pile).  Often I use them to make soup
stock: Just toss them in a pot with whatever other veg scraps you have (though
you want to avoid a lot of celery or eggplant scraps - too much will make for
a bitter stock), cover with water, simmer for an hour or so, drain, and
freeze.  -Rosemary