Re: Which miso? Plus: vegetable broth?

Thanks, Tracey. I'll start off the new year with the red.

Another question, if it's not too much trouble.  I know tastes vary, but
have you found a vegetable broth (liquid, powder, or paste) that you
particularly like?  I'd love to have some alternatives.

I've been busy today preparing for our modified Southern-style New Year's
Day dinner with blackeyed peas seasoned with onion, bell pepper, celery, and
tomatoes; collard greens seasoned with tamari (unless I get some red miso
before then!); carrots seasoned with orange marmalade; green beans; rice;
chow-chow (tomato-based with jalapeno peppers); Coke salad (a congealed
salad with Coca-Cola in it!); pickled beets; and lots of baked breads and
goodies inappropriate for this list.

We will have the ritual passing of the blackeyed peas with a good-luck dime
embedded in them.  With the understanding that any peas put on the plate
must be eaten during the meal, each person takes only one spoonful of
peas--no stirring around allowed--until someone gets the dime.  That person
is supposed to have unusually good luck during the year.

So, in keeping with our New Year's tradition, I send wishes for a
"dime-in-the-blackeyed-peas" year for each and every one of you wonderful
people on the list.

Bette