minestrone recipe

Thank you, Melissa Whitman, for posting this quick Minestrone recipe. I
made it last night and it was delicious. I made a couple of modifications,
which I added here (in [brackets]) in case anyone is interested.

Yum,

Asha

>Minestrone Soup
>
>1 good sized bag of frozen vegetables for Soup (any mixed frozen veggie will
>do)
>[Asha's addition, one onion and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped]
>4-6 cups water
>1 tsp veggie broth powder
>1 can kidney beans with liquid (I use the salt free ones)
>1 tsp thyme
>1 tsp garlic powder [omit if using fresh garlic]
>1 tbs, oregano
>1 tbs parsley (dried because I didn't have fresh)
>1/4 tsp ground sage
>1 can tomato sauce
>1 cup macaroni (any pasta will do) [Asha used orzo, and I would reduce the
amount to 3/4 c next time]
>[Splash of red wine vinegar]
>[Salt and pepper to taste]

>In a soup pot, [in water or stock, cook onion and garlic till soft, then]
mix all the
>ingredients except pasta.  Simmer for 1/2 hour or more.  Take off heat and
>add pasta.  Serve when pasta is tender.

[Add salt and pepper to taste, and if the vegetables are sweet (like
carrots and corn) add a splash of vinegar.] Serve with bread and a salad.

>Notes: I tend to make this soup in the morning, let it sit and cool all day
>and reheat at dinner time adding the pasta at the reheat stage.  This allows
>the flavors to blend a little more.

a s h a  d o r n f e s t
http://www.ashaland.com
asha@xxxxxxxxxxxx