Re: Falafal & Humus

My daughter's doing a semester abroad.  She's in Salamanca right now.

Fat free hummus is easy.  I do it about once a week.  I use an Ornish
recipe from _Everyday Cooking_ but add about 1 T of tahini.  I figure at
7.5 g fat/T with 32 T in this recipe that's 1/4 g fat/T and I can handle
it since I eat no dairy.

1 (15oz) can chickpeas(Garbanzos)
2 T lemon juice
1/4 t ground cumin
1 small garlic clove, minced(I use at least twice this amount and let
the blender do the mincing)
pinch cayenne pepper
2 T minced parsley (I don't use)
1 T minced red onion(I don't use)

Drain chickpeas, reserving juice.  Do not rinse.  Transfer peas to a
food processor or blender and blend with 1/2 c reserved chickpea juice,
lemon juice, cumin, garlic and cayenne.  Add parsley and red onion and
pulse briefly just to mix.

I usually start with a smaller amount of the juice, adding more to get
the consistency I want.  I found 1/2 c to be too much.

By the way, hummus is caro here, too.  It's even cheaper to make at home
if you cook the beans yourself.

Kate