RECIPE REPOST: sugar cookies

A few weeks ago someone was looking for a recipe for cookies that can
be rolled and cut with cookie cutters. This recipe came from Carla
(cbmcam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) on this list. All comments below are hers.

jayne

Here is a recipe I used to make Chanukah cookies and it worked very
well. I used egg substitute (I was braver than the original poster
...LOL) and didn't really have any trouble because of it. I seem to
remember having to work in a little extra flour because the dough was
sticky, but I may be mistaken. In any event, they had a nice flavor
and didn't last very long.  They might be good with a teaspoon of
extract added as well... maybe cherry or mint. The cookies are dark in
color.

Carla

I made these last night and they were very good.  Next time I make it,
I am going to substitute the eggs with egg substitute.  I was too
wimpy to try substituting the eggs AND the butter.  The prune butter
worked great.  Happy Hannukah!!!

MerylPlano, TX
http://rampages.onramp.net/~meryl/

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Chocolate Hannukah Stars

Recipe By     : Dallas Morning News
Categories    : Chanukah                         Dessert
                Cookies                          Lowfat

     1/4  cup           prune butter -- * see note
   1      cup           sugar
   2                    eggs (I used egg substitute)
   2      cups          all-purpose flour
     1/2  cup           cocoa
   1      teaspoon      baking powder
     1/2  teaspoon      baking soda
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
                        confectioner's sugar

In a large bowl, beat prune butter, sugar and eggs on medium speed of
electric mixer.  Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking
soda and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
Cover; refrigerate dough until firm enough to handle.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to
1/8-inch thickness; cut with star-shapped cookie cutter (can use
menorah, dreidel and others).  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake
5 to 7 minute, or until no imprint remains when touched lightly in the
center.  Cool 1 minute; remove cookie sheet to wire rack.  Cool
completely.  Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.  Makes about 4 dozen
cookies.