Kombu

I'm thinking of buying some kombu, to use in making stock (there's an
aubergine-miso soup [1] in the archives, posted by Michelle Dick, that I
want to try, among other things). It's quite expensive, though; and most
of the recipes I've seen tell you to take the kombu out after making the
stock.

What I'm wondering is, can you dry and re-use the kombu? Or does
absolutely all the flavour come out the first time you simmer it?

Kate

[1] The aubergine-miso soup is at
http://www.rahul.net/fatfree/recipes/soups/miso-eggplant-soup
for those interested.
--
I like red wine that doesn't make my mouth hurt.
Kake Lemon Pugh - http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0141/index.html