Surinamese mixed rice

Surinam has a very mixed population and thus a very varied
kitchen. In daily life we eat "Surinamese" (=
Afro-Surinamese), Indian, Indonesian, Chinese and since one
year or so American food (Mc Donald, KFC and PizzaHut) as
well...

I adapted a recipe that has its roots in the Afro-Surinamese
kitchen, but now is appreciated by all inhabitants. I had to
do a lot of adapting, for in the original recipe all what is
forbidden in our opionon is used! I cook this recipe as a
sundays meal.

Surinamese mixed rice (moksi alesi)

The aim is that you make a gravy in which you cook rice,
split beans and vegetables. In the end the rice is dry AND
tasty. I cook from 1 to 5 on the stove. Then I put sauce and
rice in the rice cooker, but perhaps it is for a start
easier to finisch the cooking on the stove.

The recipe is not too easy to cook in the beginning. You
have to develop the feeling how much gravy you need for your
amount of rice. But keep trying, for in the end this recipe
will be a favourite, espcially if you have to cook for a
party.

Ingredients

1        pound brown rice
1/3     pound yellow split beans
1 1/2    pint of water (or a bit more or a bit less...)
1        big onion, in small pieces
1        tomato
2        spoons of tomato paste
1        hot pepper
1        vegan bouillon cube (optional, but it ads to the
"Surinamese" taste)
1        cup cubed pumpkin
1        cup white cabbage, coarse cut
          salt (optional)
         black pepper (a lot!)

1.    Cook the yellow split beans half done. Throw the cook
water away.

2.    Simmer the onion a few minutes, add the small cut
tomatoe and the bouillon cube, simmer about five minutes.
Add, if neccesary a bit of water.

3.    Add the half cooked split beans and the tomato paste.
Add the water. Stir, and simmer another five minutes.

4.    Add the pumpkin and cook till pumpkin is half done.

5.    Taste the sauce. Add black pepper. The sauce should
taste rather strong.

6.    Add the drained rice. The sauce level should be a
phalanx above the rice. If necessary, add some water. Taste
the gravy again! Stir, let the sauce cook, and put cabbage
and hot pepper on top, and put the pot on the lowest
possible gas. (The pepper gives a special flavour)

7.     Simmer for about half an hour. Taste if the rice is
nearly done. Sprinkle if necessary a bit of HOT water over
the rice and cook another five minutes. Take the hot pepper
out of the pot and stir the cabbage carefully - with a
fork - through the rice. Put the pepper back.

8.    Simmer for another five minutes. The rice should be
dry and tasty.

9.    Take the pot of the stove, take  the lid of the pot
and leave the rice five minutes untouched.

10.    Cut the hot pepper in very small pieces (with a fork
and knife, so that you don't burn your hands.)

11.    Serve with cucumber, onions and tomatoes in vinegar.

Succes and have a good meal.

Myrna Laret
Paramaribo, Surinam