Re: Bonanza Banana Bread

I tried this recipe posted recently and made a mistake which turned
out to be a great-tasting one!
Presumably our South African bananas are larger or squishier than
yours, because I ended up with a very runny mixture.  However,
undaunted, I put a clove in it, put it in the oven, and ended up with the most delicious
hot pudding.  It had a creamy filling with a bread-like topping -
almost like a steamed pudding. I guess you could add in a couple of
extra bananas to get the same effect.
 With winter on our doorsteps, this is definitely going
to become a favourite with my family.

> Banana Bonanza Bread
>
> 6 quite ripe bananas (good even if they are a bit overripe and brown in
>         places)
> 2 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 tsp vanilla
> 1/2 tsp baking powder
> cinnamon to taste
>
> yes, those are all of the ingredients! Here's how ya do it!
>
> Peel the bananas and mash in a large bowl with the sugar and vanilla. This
> will turn to a thick, fragrant glop (a technical term) in a few minutes.
> Stir in the flour and baking soda a bit at a time, until it's all
> incorporated.
> Pour this mixture into a glass dish (just about anything should work, we've
> done it in a loaf pan too and it works great) and sprinkle some cinnamon on
> the top.  Bake in a 350 over for 50 min - 1 hr.
>      Now, this bread is not the texture of the familiar banana bread, which i
> think has more the consistency of a muffin or cake. This will actually have
> the texture of a chewy, dense bread!
>
> Jerry Brick and Roger Terry
> >purple@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Frances Watts
for Net!Heads
www.netheads.co.za
UUNet Internet Africa - Stanger franchise
Tel: 032-4591863