Bulgur recipes

Nutrition Note (from Health Food magazine) Bulgur--cracked wheat including the
bran--contains 8 grams of fiber per cup.

Here is a favorite recipe of ours:

Mexican Bulgur (from 1985 Vegetarian Times magazine)
Serves 4, Prep. time 20 min., cooking time 30 min.

1 onion chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 1/2 cups bulgur
1/4 cup chopped green chiles (I used canned)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
3 1/4 cups water
2 Tbs soy sauce (tamari)
2 Tbs finely chopped fresh coriander (optional)

In a large sauce pan, saute the onion, celery & green pepper in 1/4 cup water
until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add bulgur, green chilies and seasonings.  Cook
and stir a few minutes.  Add the remaining water and the soy sauce.  Bring to
a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20
minutes.  Stir in coriander.  Serve as a base for assorted toppings, stuff
into pita bread, or use to fill a chapati.  Toppings might be chopped
tomatoes, chopped green onions, sprouts, shredded lettuce and assorted salsas.

I have not tried this next recipe, I just found it in a magazine, cut it out
and I don't remember the name of the magazine, The original called for olive
oil for sauteing.

Braised Bulgur and Cabbage
Makes about 5 cups

Small amount of water, broth or whatever you use for sauteing
3/4 cup bulgur
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups chopped green cabbage
2 cups sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups broth of choice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamarai  or more to taste

1.  In large saucepan, add bulgur, onion, cabbage and carrots to small amount
of broth or water and cook stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften,
about 1 minute.
2.  Add the 1 1/2 cups of broth and soy sauce and bring to a boil.  Reduce
heat to low, cover and simmer until bulgur is tender and broth is absorbed,
about 10 to 15 minutes.  Adjust seasoning with soy sauce.
3.  Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
The Kale crunchy snack was in our newspaper too.  I hope if someone tries it
they will let us know the results.  Sounds interesting.

Barbara in FL