Quinoa

You said....
I was curious if anyone else has recipes for cooking with Quinoa?  I have a
grain intollerance and can't eat wheat, oats, barley or rye.  I therefore
must rely on rice and corn, and any other alternative grains which may
agree with me.  Happily, quinoa is one of them.

I reply...
The other night I cooked quinoa with rehydrated shitake, onions, garlic,
sage, salt and pepper, spinach and it was quite good. Here's what I did:

Soaked the dried shitake in boiling water for half an hour. Drained and
squeezed them out. Saved the water.

Rinsed about 1 cup of quinoa well (to get the bitterness out)
Poured out that water and replaced it with the shitake water. Boiled for 15
min. Added the shitake about 10 min in.

In the meantime
cut up about half an onion in small pieces and squashed 3 garlic cloves.
Using the tiniest bit of oil (about 1/4 tsp) sauteed the onion and garlic,
adding 1 tsp or so of sage. Took the stems off the fresh spinach and put
about 1 cup of spinach leaves in with the onions and garlic. Stirred as the
spinach cooked down.

When the water was absorbed I added the onion mixture to the quinoa and
served.

The only things I'd change would be to add at least twice as much spinach
and to add the mushrooms to the onions. I think the water leeched out too
much flavor. It was really good, though.
Take care,

Tory Klementsen                     teechur@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.eskimo.com/~tory
http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/1725

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord.
Plans to prosper you and not to harm you.
Plans to give you a future and a hope.
Jerm 29:11