Re: Favorite kitchen essentials

On Thu, 04 Sep 1997 16:50:54 -0500  Michelle Dick <artemis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Swim goggles: wear when cutting onions to avoid eye irritation and
> tearing(the only thing that really works)

The only thing that really works for me is steam -- and plenty of it.
I keep a pot of boiling water or a kettle on the boil nearby whenever
I'm chopping onions to give my eyes a nice little steam bath while I'm
cutting.  This is one of the earliest cooking lessons I learned when I
was a child and it's worked ever since.  Does anybody else do this?

Thanks for all the great recipes and tips!
Katherine in Sunny (but currently overcast) Florida