burgers

A while back someone asked for burgers that hold their shape.  I made these
for a Labor Day picnic and they were wonderful (and great leftover as
well).  The recipe is from the newest Moosewood lowfat cookbook.

Chili burgers

3 cups cooked beans (I used a generous cup of red chili beans and cooked
them for about 2 hours)
1 cup chopped onions
one-half a cup grated carrots
4 cloves garlic, minced
one and a half teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin (I ground my own from seed)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
one and a half cups rolled oats
salt and pepper to taste

saute the onions, carrots, garlic, chili powder and cumin in a pan prepared
with olive oil spray.  Mash beans and add vegetables and seasonings and
oats and mix well.  Add salt and pepper if desired.  With slightly wet
hands form into 3-4 inch patties and cook in a sprayed skillet about 7 min
on a side. (I used a heavy cast-iron skillet that worked well--you could
bake them, too)  Recipe says it makes six, but I got seven.  I served them
with whole wheat tortillas, homemade salsa, potato salad, corn on the cob,
and peach-blueberry cobbler.  Everyone raved!