"Mix-and-Match" Soup recipe

The following is adapted from  a little self-published cookbook
called, "Cooking Ahead" by Mary Carney.  (The Carney Family, PO Box 174,
Advance, IN 46102-0174).

I made it last weekend, and it was great.  It makes a big pot!  I suggest
freezing the cooled soup in 1 quart ziplock bags, seal tight and lay flat
in the freezer.  This way they thaw quickly and take minimal space in the
freezer.  Then you have delicious soup quick and easy as canned but BETTER.

>MIX AND MATCH SOUP
>(Serves 8 generously)
>

>BASE OR BROTH ~ CHOOSE ONE
>
>Tomato ~ one 12-oz. can tomato paste PLUS two 16-oz. cans tomatoes with
>juice, chopped PLUS water to equal 10 cups total.
>vegie broth ~ 10 cups broth OR 4 boullion cubes dissolved in 10 cups
>water.
>
>PROTEIN ~ CHOOSE ONE
>>Cooked Dried Beans ~ 3 cups (any kind is fine--I commonly use pintos, kidney,
>Great Northern, garbanzos, or a mixture of whatever is on hand)
>

>GRAIN ~ CHOOSE ONE OR TWO
>Rice ~ two cups, cooked (any variety)
>Barley ~ two cups, cooked
>Pasta ~ two cups, partially cooked or raw
>Lentils ~ two cups
>Corn ~ two cups, cooked
>Dumplings
>

>VEGETABLES ~ CHOOSE FOUR OR MORE
>(one cup ~ sliced, diced, shredded, or whatever)
>Carrots
>Celery
>Cabbage
>Onion
>Potatoes
>Tomatoes
>Green Beans
>Yellow "Wax" Beans
>Turnips
>Parsnips
>Corn
>Zuchinni
>Green Pepper
>Peas
>Pea Pods
>Etc.
>

>SEASONINGS ~ CHOOSE 2 - 4 TO EQUAL 4 TBSP TOTAL
>Basil
>Chives
>Cumin
>Garlic
>Marjoram
>Oregano
>Parsley
>Rosemary
>Thyme
>Cayenne (dash)
>

>To prepare soup:
>Bring stock to boil in large stock pot or dutch oven.  Add all ingredients;
>salt and pepper to taste; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
>
>In crockpot:
>Pour boiling stock and other ingredients into crock pot and simmer 8 - 12
>hours or overnight on LOW setting.
>
>Serve soup with homemade yeast bread, biscuits or cornbread.  Enjoy!

Jan Gordon  jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx
"We are all the guests of the green plants..."
Ismail Serageldin, V P, Environmentally Sustainable Development