recipes, recipes, and more recipes

Here is a great apple dessert.  Guaranteed to go quickly.

Fresh Apple Cake...or as I like to call it, Apple Pie Cake

1 1/8 cup  unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cup  honey
  3/4 cup  egg substitute (or whatever you use to substitute for 3 eggs)
    2 tsp  vanilla
    3 cup  flour (I use 1 1/2 wheat pastry flour, 1 cup wheat, and 1/2 cup
           defatted soy)
    1 tsp  baking soda
    1 tsp  salt
    2 tsp  cinnamon
    1 cup  chopped pecans (optional)
    3      large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced

Preheat oven to 325.  Grease a bundt pan (I use no-stick spray, Bev).
Combine applesauce, honey and egg substitute.  Beat on medium.  Sift
together dry ingredients.  Add to wet ingredients on low, until well
combined.  Fold in pecans and apples.  Bake 1 hour.

********************************
This recipe was my grandmother's and it won a blue ribbon in the Dallas,
Texas fair.

Mamaw's Sweet Potato Bread

3 1/2 cup  flour (I used 1 1/2 wheat pastry, 1 1/2 wheat, and 1/2 defatted
           soy)
    1 tsp  salt
    1 tsp  nutmeg
    1 tsp  cinnamon
    2 tsp  baking soda
2 1/4 cup  honey (or 3 cups sugar or 2 cups fructose)
  2/3 cup  soy milk (I didn't have any on hand so I used water and it
           turned out okay)
  3/4 cup  unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup  egg substitute (or whatever you use to substitute for 4 eggs)
    2 cup  cooked and mashed sweet potatoes

Mix everything together until moist.  Grease 2 loaf pans (again, Bev, I
use no-stick spray :-) )  Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until knife comes out
clean.

*********************************
I got this recipe out of the Natural Shopper which I get for free at my
local HFS.

Aztec Couscous

    1 cup  whole wheat couscous
    1 tsp  salt
    1 tsp  cumin
1 3/4 cup  cooked black beans, drained or 1 15 oz. can, drained
    1 cup  frozen corn, thawed
  1/2 cup  finely diced red onion
  1/4 cup  finely minced cilantro
    1      fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 - 4 tsp  lime juice (I didn't have any so I used Ume Plum vinegar)

Place couscous, salt and cumin in large glass bowl.  Pour 1 cup boiling
water into bowl.  Cover tightly and let sit until all liquid is absorbed,
8-10 min.  If it is still chewy, add another 1/4 cup boiling water and let
sit, covered, for 5 min.  Stir in beans, corn, onion, cilantro, and
jalapeno.  Add enough lime juice to make it puckery.  Serve warm or at
room temperature with corn chips or in whole wheat tortillas.

Enjoy!

Leah in Athens, GA