Tofu recipes

Hi I promised someone tofu recipes but accidently deleted the digest with
your request. so, I thought I'd post these recipes I created for a natural
food deli I worked for. (For those in Milwaukee, it was Outpost.)
Vegetable Jambalaya

1/4 cup vegetable broth			2 cups Spanish onion
1 cup celery				1/2 cup green pepper
1/2 cup red pepper			4 ounces carrots
1 cup green onions			1 large tomato
1 zucchini				1 yellow squash
8 ounces extra firm tofu		2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
2 vegetable bouillon cubes	5 cups water

Spices
1 teaspoon whole cumin		1/2 teaspoon basil
3/4 teaspoon crushed dried hot red peppers
2 tablespoons hot paprika		1 teaspoon thyme
 2 large cloves garlic, minced	2 teaspoons salt or to taste

1. Chop all vegetables.
2. Drain tofu, and cut in 1-inch cubes.
3. Saute all vegetables in the vegetable broth for 10 minutes, stirring
frequently.
4. Add bouillon cubes, water, and spices.
5. Bring to a boil, add rice, return to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to a
simmer.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes,  then add tofu, and stir well to mix.  Recover and
simmer until rice is done, about 30-40 minutes.
Serves 4-6.

Italian Tofu Balls

1-1/2 pounds extra firm tofu			1-1/2 grated carrots
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds			1-1/2 cups grated zucchini
1/4 cup minced parsley				2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons Italian herb mixture		1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon green onions, minced		1 tablespoon  vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
6 tablespoons corn meal plus extra for coating balls
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder* or cornstarch
4 cups plus of your favorite pasta sauce, warmed

1. Drain tofu and wrap in a kitchen towel. Press between two plates for 30
minutes.
2. Grate carrots and zucchini.
3. Crumble tofu into a large bowl. Mix vegetables, herbs, spices, garlic, and
onions in thoroughly.
4. Add corn meal, olive oil, soy sauce, and arrowroot powder or cornstarch
and mix thoroughly.  You may have to add more corn meal or arrowroot powder
depending on the wetness of your tofu. The mixture should roll into a
meatball-like consistency without crumbling or falling apart.
5. Form mixture into balls, whatever size you prefer, small, medium or large.
Coat with corn meal and bake in a lightly oiled pan (use light coating of
spray) at 400o for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. When done, cover with
your favorite pasta sauce and serve immediately. Serve with pasta such as
penne, rigatoni, or with rice.
Serves 4-6.  *Arrowroot powder is a thickener which can be found in a natural
food store.

Garden Tofu Pie

1 whole wheat pie crust
1- 1/2 pounds extra firm tofu
2- 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1/2 cup minced broccoli
1/2 large diced red pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable broth
1 teaspoon mild yellow mustard
2- 1/2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons corn meal
1/4 cup minced parsley
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1- 1/2 teaspoons tamari (soy sauce)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Prebake crust in a preheated 350  oven for 10 minutes. Cool.
Drain tofu and wrap in a towel. Press with a weight for 15-20 minutes. Then
unwrap and crumble into a bowl.
Saute vegetables and garlic in vegetable broth until soft.  Mix well into the
crumbled tofu. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pack into
the prebaked pie crust and bake at 350  for 30-35 minutes until lightly
browned.
Serves 4-6.
enjoy!
JBennicoff