Re: FATFREE Digest V97 #249 -Reply

Samantha Doran wrote:

> I have been reading the daily digests for approximately a month now, and
> this is the first time I have contributed.  I find the discussion and the
> recipes really interesting and beneficial.
> In the last few weeks I have been trying to perfect a fat-free, and
> preferably sugar-free, muffin.  I have made a few attempts, and they all
> come out chewy and tasteless - depending upon the fruit used.  Can
> anyone recommend a "success guaranteed" muffin recipe.

> Also, can anyone tell me what cilantro is, and where I can get cilantro
> leaves.
>
> Samantha
> Perth, Western Australia

Cilantro is an herb, used fresh.  The dried has no flavor or aroma.
Sometimes it is called Mexican parsley and is usually found in the
grocery store with the parsley.  It looks more like flat leaf parsley
than curley leaf parsley, but has an odor all it's own.  It's often used
in salsa and a lot in Indian cooking.  It's actually the leaves of the
plant that coriander comes from.

I found a great muffin recipe in The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook by
Bryaanna Clark Grogan.  It has sugar but no fat and uses tofu.  She has
a master recipe with variations in her book, but here's what I did.  The
muffins were sweet, with a spongy, moist texture.

Mix together:
1 1/4 c unbleached flour
1/3   c brown rice flour
1     t baking powder
1     t baking soda
1/2   t sea salt

In blender mix until smooth:
8    oz Mori-nu extra firm reduced fat tofu
1/2   c sugar
1/2   c raspberry juice
1     T lemon juice
1 1/2 T nutritional yeast
1     T vanilla

Add 1 c blueberries to flour mixture annd stir until coated.  Pour in
blended stuff and fold together gently just until mixed.  Bake in
non-stick muffin pan for 20 min. at 350.  Cool somewhat before removing
from pan.

Everybody in my house loved these!

Nava Atlas also has a web site

http://vegkitchen.com