Another stuffed squash recipe

Suitable for a holiday meal. I made this last week using acorn squash. I
just harvested 6 delicatas from my garden this weekend, so I'm going to
try this again using them.

Holiday Cranberry Squash

3 winter squash, such as acorn, buttercup, butternut, or delicata
2 cups minced onions
1 cup minced celery
1 teaspoon cooking liquid (broth, water, apple juice)
3 cups fresh or 12 ounces frozen cranberries
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup, or to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Slice each squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place the
squash, cut side down, in a large flat-bottomed baking pan, add water to
about ½ inch, cover and bake for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a covered saucepan on medium heat, saute the onions and
celery in the cooking liquid, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until
softened. Add the cranberries and salt, lower the heat, and simmer until
the cranberries have popped, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and
stir in the applesauce, orange peel, orange juice, and maple syrup. The
filling should be tart--add just enough maple syrup to offset the
sourness of the cranberries.

Remove the squash from the oven and turn the halves over in the pan.
Fill each cavity with a rounded 1/2 cup of the filling. Bake, uncovered,
for 30 minutes, until well done.

Serves 6. Preparation time 30 to 35 minutes. Baking time 30 to 45
minutes.

Note: Baking time varies greatly, depending on the type of squash you're
using. Delicata squash cooks very quickly, so when you fill the cavity
after the initial baking period, you may only need to return to the oven
long enough to heat everything through.

Very slightly adapted from _Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites_.

Diane
brooksong@xxxxxxxx