What did I do wrong?

Hello you wonderful people,

Here is a request for collective wisdom.

I've recently been trying to develop a taste for celery (the last American
vegetable my Indian taste buds are trying to get over the dislike for!)

I bought a packet of celery hearts yesterday, somehow I was under the
impression that the heart stuff would be milder(?), less pungent that the
large stalks.

It was so awful! The stalks had an awful oily and very chemical taste.

What should I look for in celery stalks? The sticks they give in
restraunts are so much milder and almost sweet tasting.

TIA from a wanna be celery lover!

Bala.