asparagas!

Hi,

Someone was interested in ideas for asparagas.  I am a huge asparagas fan!
I think asparagas goes especially well with wild mushrooms:  Saute (in a touch
of balsamic vinegar, or wine, or liquid you used to reconstitute any dried
mushrooms) some shitakis, porcinis, portabellos, shallots, a dash of rosemary
and thyme and add some (pre-steamed in the microwave, so they keep their nice
green color) 1" pieces of asparagas.  Serve this saute by itself as a side dish
or put on baked potatos or pasta.  (You can make it creamy by adding some
nonfat sour cream or pureed tofu.)
You can do the same thing with chantrelles and morels, but they have such
incredible flavor, I never mix them with other 'shrooms.

Another favorite asparagus dish of mine is asparagus with red pepper suace.
The suace is made by pureeing roasted red pepper, a dash of balsamic vinegar, a
few cloves of roated garlic, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne (to taste) and
maybe a little basil.  It is a beautiful presentation dish: cover the bottom of
a serving platter with the sauce and lay the steamed asparagas on top.  The
best thing is that this is great as a cold dish (do ahead!) or a hot dish.

Asparagas is also the perfect dipping veggie.  Steam the asparagas, but leave a
little crunch.  May favorite dip with it is:

Dijon Dip for asparagus:
1 cup nonfat sour cream
1/4 cup mango vinegar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon (or more to taste) dried dill weed

This dip is also good with other veggies, too, of course.

Have fun with the asparagas!
(I wish it were not so expensive through the winter!)

Pam D