RECIPE: Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad

This is from _Real Vegetarian Thai_ by Nancie McDermott.  I've had
better versions of this simple side dish, but this one is good as

Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad

1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt

1 large cucumber, about 12 ounces
1/4 cup chopped red onion
3 T chopped fresh cilantro leaves

In a small pan, bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a gentle
boil.  Simmer for about 2 minutes until the sugar and salt is fully
dissolved and the mixture is slightly thickened.  Remove from heat and

Peel cucumber and cut in half length-wise.  Slice into 1/4 inch thick

Add cucumber, onion, and cilantro to chilled syrup mixture and let sit
abot 15 minutes in the refrigerator.

To serve, remove cucumber, onion and cilantro from the mixture with a
slotted spoon.  Cucumber salad is a good accompanyment to hot fiery
foods.  I don't know if this keeps well, because I've never had a
batch last more than a day.

Michelle Dick             artemis@xxxxxxxxx              East Palo Alto, CA